The First Known Hazelhurst
The first of our ancestors (to our knowledge) who took the surname “Hazlehurst”, as his right and proper name, was
Sir William de Hazlehurst in 1200 AD.
According to old letters, his previous surname was Hasselwall. When he died he was buried in the Chester Cathedral in 1250.
Possible family in direct lineage from Sir William
- 1588 John Hazlehurst Born 15 Sept 1588 in Frodsham, Cheshire, England. He MARRIED Joane Eyre, their child was Richard.
- 1620 Richard Born 8 Oct 1620 in Frodsham, Cheshire, England. His Child was John.
- 1655 John Born 1665 in Manley, Cheshire, England. MARRIED Ann Taylor born 9 Jan 1680 in Rostherne, Cheshire. Their child Samuel Born 1694.
- 1694 Samuel Born 1694 in Frodsham, Cheshire, England Died in 1720. MARRIED Martha Wharton 28 Dec 1713. Martha died 1728.
- 1714 John age 14 when orphaned
- 1717 Samuel age 11 when orphaned
These two boys were both old enough (in those days) to be apprenticed or employed.
1714 John Born 8 Oct 1714 in Frodsham, Cheshire, England. Died 30 March 1800. MARRIED 30 March 1735 in Eastham, Cheshire. Grace Roscoe, born 29 January 1715. Died 12 January 1795. She was heir to the Estate of Allerton Hall.
John and Grace leased a farm from Robert Vyner which was known as Brow Farm, and this stayed in the family for years, passing, eventually, to the Povall family who married into the Hazlehurst family. It was situated on the bend in Worcester Road, Birkenhead.
Children of John (1714) and Grace Roscoe (1715)
- Samuel born 1736,
- Thomas born 1739,
- John born 1740,
- James born 1744,
- Benjamin born 1748,
- Catherine born 1749,
- Martha born 1752,
- George born 1754,
- Grace born 1754,
- Thomas born 1758,
- Catherine born 1762.
1736 Samuel First born child of John and Grace, MARRIED Margareth Gibson fathered one child, Ann, Born 1764 in Claughton, Cheshire, England. She gave birth to a son, out of wedlock. He was named George, born 27 March 1788.
1740 John, Third born child. Born in Frodsham was Ann’s Uncle, he adopted George 1788 legally giving him the surname Hazlehurst. This made the total of their children to 14!
John married Mary Pinnington (4 children) then married Jane Leavy (9 children)
- George (adopted son) born 27 March 1788, son of Ann, 1764, and adopted son of John 1740.
1st Marriage: Catharine Sarratt: they had 2 children:
- George born 1820
- Mary born 1822
2nd Marriage: Clara Elizabeth Walters, they had 2 children:
- Edward born 1825
- Roland born 1831 died 1832
George born 1788 died from illness in 1832. His son, Edward was 7 years old.
Edward was the First Hazelhurst settler to come to South Africa.