1868 James Hazelhurst
Parents Edward & Anne Hazelhurst
Born 14 April 1868 in Utrecht, district of Pongola.
Schooled in Wakkerstroom. Known as Jim. Died 1 July 1916 in Bulawayo.
- 1881: Participated in the defense of Wakkerstroom during the Boer war and joined the Boer filibuster expedition into Zululand 1884.
- 1886: Left for Barberton on being appointed Post Master of Zoutpansberg. He organized mail during the Boer expedition against Mapoch and Magaiba.
- 1894-1899: Became Postmaster of Heidelberg in 1896, Accountant at the General Post Office in Johannesburg.
- 1899: Transferred to Rhodesia as a Manager of Sales for Zeederberg’s Gwelo.
- 1900: Organised Transport for Carrington’s Forces from Marundellas to Bulaway.
- 1901-1903: Selukwe.
- 1904-1911: member of Village Licensing-and School Boards.
He was a keen hunter. James, was a successful athlete. He was a member of the Zoutpansberg Wanderers Club.
In a newspaper report it was written “In we have an example of the grand physical development”….. “He is a thoroughly, good, all-round man, and his feats were the more creditable (because he had previously been very ill with malaria)
JAMES HAZELHURST 1868
7 August 1895 to Anne Sophia Albasini born 10 June 1874. In the N.H.Kerk, Soutpansberg. She was the daughter of Joan Albasini.
Children born to James and Anne Hazelhurst
- Agnes Wickfield Hazelhurst born 16 April 1896
- Kathleen Hazelhurst born 11 October 1898
- James Bosum Hazelhurst born 5 February 1901. Died 7 January 1935